Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Somehting to look forward to!

I have made a decision. I will run the NYC Marathon before I turn 30! Whoa that is a large commitment. I am 26 years old at this very moment in time and know that after running the 15 K that my body can handle a half marathon (which I am looking for one to run) But with that being said I am not sure it can do 26.2 miles without a lot of pushing and training...aka what running is for. So at some point in the next 4 years I will recieve a NYC Marathon medal.





So what are we going to do to get there you ask? I have no idea yet. I will be registering to run the Athens, OH half marathon on Sunday April 14, 2013. After that I am not sure...I have a lot of research to do on fuel, food, and running schedules over the next few months. As well as finish reading the rest of Runners World Big Book of Marathons and Half Marathons. That means that this post is to tell you all I have a goal and I am going to need your support, advice, and encouragement to get there. It is a huge goal I never ever thought I would ever set for myself. 

A year ago I was 10lbs heavier and had no interest in running let alone 26.2 miles. I also was incredibly unhappy with myself and my life the way it was playing out. Running has helped me to center myself as a person and has helped begin the pulling out of a dark scary place I was headed. Though I am not finished coming out of that place, not even close if we want to be honest about it, having a long term goal is the best thing I can do for myself. Something to work for something to look forward to, something to count down to, and something to satisfy the pain I feel on a regular basis. As this new adventure begins some posts may get super personal and dark, but I promise they wont all be that way and lets be honest four 10 weeks I will be training all over Europe so how terrible could that be! Thank you in advance for being loyal and amazing! 

-Felicia

6 comments:

  1. You should be so proud of how far you've come. Wow!

    an AMAZING goal btw. Running in any race, let alone the NYC marathon would be a DREAM. It's always great to have something to shoot for. You can do this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement it helps a ton! Some days I think the goals I pick are insane lol I mean I decided I wanted to run at half marathon after only struggling to get through 3 miles, and a full marathon after getting through a 15k.

      Delete
  2. Hello, just found your blog! Good luck with your goals, you can do it! I'm 26 as well, and I will be running my first marathon in 2013. Not NYC, but doing that before 30 sounds awesome! I'll be cheering you on! I see you're in grad school--me too :)Running = coping with grad school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking a look and becoming a follower! And you are right running=coping and sanity! Congratulations on taking the steps to running your first marathon that is so cool!!!!!! Please keep me updated on how your training is going and if I can be of any assistance

      Delete
  3. Glad you found me. :) What an awesome goal! You are so wise to plan out a few years... some runners try to go from 5k to marathon in a year, which can lead to injury. Build up your base mileage slowly, and you'll easily run your NYC marathon! Good luck in the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I have registered for the 5 by 5 challenge. The longest distance I have under my belt right now is a 15k. I will run my first half marathon on April and can't wait. I look forward to keeping up with your blog!

      Delete